Pokemon Go: Holiday Event Issues
Pokemon Go brought many updates after it was released in September 2015, Niantic has promised to add a feature to take the game to the next level and that is trading and player battels . A year had passed but the developer failed to add the feature in almost all of the game updates; in fact, the latest updates released last December 12 has disappointed almost all of the players.Even then Niantic had its most awaited December event i.e. Holiday – event
The issues so far with the Pokemon Go holiday event.
1. No actual start time listed. “Starting the morning of December 25, 2016, and through the afternoon of January 3, 2017 (PST), PokéStops will award one single-use Incubator each day after your first Photo Disc spin.” (Edit to correct info, point still stands)What is ‘morning’? Why does this not list the actual xx:00 time. Morning is defined as anywhere from 00:00 to 12:00, so that would help.Same problem with ‘afternoon’.
2. Ambiguous wording on the incubator gift info. “PokéStops will award one single-use Incubator each day after your first Photo Disc spin.”Why does this not say ‘ON’ instead of ‘after’? After can imply, and is most often taken as to mean that you don’t get it on the first stop, but the second. Ie, your first non streak stop of the day.
This would not be such an issue if not for timezones and scheduling. See points 1 and 1b
1b. The seeming alienation of anyone in another timezone, early risers, late night players.
To explain, at the release of this event, the 25th was already over for a large portion of the player base. It might be a ‘Holiday’ event, but the clear intention seems to have been a Christmas release. Problem is a thing called timezones.
The game resets your spins at midnight local time, which means you miss out on a day because of the late release. Even people local to PST time missed out on the first spin if they spun before 8am ish.
In a nutshell (Edits made to correct dates and numbers, point remains unchanged)
What it boils down to is that: The 25th of December to the 3rd of January is 10 days.
If you haven’t missed the first spin on the 25th due to the timezones and late starts, you get 10 incubators. One per day as a first spin.
But lots of players have missed that spin because the game uses local time to determine your streak spins, the event does not. So you only get 9.
It appears that Niantic is basically penalizing people for playing the game in timezones other than PST, along with people who don’t wait till 8-9am PST for their first spin.
1. A 1 per day icon in the shop. Like the gift boxes, only free. Can only be used once per day. This also fixes the issue for rural players that may not have stops anywhere near them.
2. Tie the event start with the midnight roll over at local time.
2b. (Added as an edit: As timing with local rollovers was mentioned as being an issue) Use the shop icon change and notice phrasing to eliminate the guesswork on event start. ‘Event is live when shop icon changes, Claiming your first spin before it’s live means you miss the item.’ It changed when the event went live anyways, so why not use it to prevent this from happening in future.
3. Offer a sincere apology for the miscommunication and poor planning for this global event. Then actually learn from it and apply it to future events. Honestly, I think a good number of ppy with an apology and clearer announcements.