The Sims Mobile APK iOS, Android Launch In US, UK: What We Know So Far
Good news, Sims players: A new version of The Sims is coming to iOS and Android soon. Six years after The Sims Freeplay – a simplified version of the original – launched on the mobile platform, Electronic Arts and Maxis have announced The Sims Mobile. It has already gone live in Brazil but has yet to roll out in other parts of the world. To keep you updated, here’s everything we know so far about the new mobile game.
What is The Sims Mobile?
Offering an all-new Sims experience inspired by The Sims 4 Legacy Challenge, The Sims Mobile features many of the same things you’d see on PC such as the ability to start a family and decorate your own rooms. It encourages players to build a multi-generational family while collecting Heirlooms that unlock hobbies and careers along the way. The Heirlooms specifically offer different gameplay benefits as you progress, which will help you achieve your Sim’s Life Goal.
The game lets you interact with other players through the social element of the game. You can host and attend parties and also develop relationships with your real-life friends’ Sims as best friends, enemies, soulmates and more. From what we’ve seen in the trailer, the game has a pretty in-depth house builder too, as well as a Sim creator with plenty of room for customization.
How is its gameplay so far?
The only source of gameplay information available right now is from two trailers, tidbits on Twitter from players in Brazil, and lucky fans on YouTube who somehow got ahold of the game. Here’s what we know so far, courtesy of iDigitalTimes.
- Sims Mobile is in real time. If your sim needs to sleep for 6 hours, you have to wait for 6 hours unless you use SimCash to speed things up.
- There are loading screens.
- Multiplayer – Move in with other people’s Sims, start relationships, host parties and invite players.
- Active Careers: Barista, Culinary, Fashion, Medical, Law, DJ, Business. One Sim featured in the trailer is a photographer, another a matriarch, and another a rock star.
- Traits -26 traits, pick three of them. There’s only 5 traits unlocked when you begin the game (Artsy, Athletic, Flirty, Geek, Logical, Musical). The following can be unlocked, some requiring a level and some require a certain type of charm: Leader, Confident, Charismatic, Daredevil, Perfectionist, Prankster, Ambitious, Lucky, Party Animal, Irresistible, Fearless, Evil, Good, Visionary, Brilliant, Dramatic, Foodie, Goofball, Outgoing, Shy.
- Actions amount to XP, XP increases player level.
- Hobbies -Cooking, Guitar, Writing, Yoga.
- Heirlooms – The photo below shows the types of rewards you’ll receive from generational knowledge.
- Tons of new interactions and activities, such as making tacos and ‘alien arrival.’
- Venues -Fashion studio, restaurant, and nightclub are customizable.
- Lots – You need Simoleons or progress to unlock certain lots. Check out the map below.
- Interacting with other Sims gives you relationship points.
- Trigger certain events, social or career, which will ask you to perform actions in a limited amount of time to get a reward.
- Even though Sims Mobile is in real time, energy and needs are decreased by completing actions.
- Neighborhoods – Botanical Garden, Market Square, Coast, House
- Needs are counted in points. Even though Sims Mobile is in real time, energy and needs are decreased by completing actions. You can eat a cupcake to maximize.
- Head and body sliders in CAS, many more customization options than Sims FreePlay.
- Fulfill wishes for XP and life goals for lifetime points.
- Objects – Even just a glance through the full trailer proves a lot of these items are coming straight out of the Sims 4 . Counter tops, chairs, tables, sound systems, candles, coffee tables, couches, you name it.
- Legacy – If you accomplish goals and retire, you’re rewarded with family heirlooms that unlock more hobbies and careers to tell deeper stories. For example, a grandfather’s success could open up the opportunity for granddaughter to be governor or president. A mad scientist could inspire younger relative to become an astronaut.
Check out the game’s soft launch trailer below:
How does it differ from The Sims Freeplay?
One key difference between the two games is that the Sims FreePlay is developed by Firemonkeys and EA. The new one, on the other hand, is developed by Maxis and EA, the same creators behind Sims 4. Another one is that The Sims Mobile has a multiplayer element wherein you can directly play or even start a relationship with other players’ Sims.
Obviously , the 2017 game has a more detailed customization in various aspects compared to the first Sims mobile game. The user interface looks more like Sims 4 also than FreePlay. For instance, there are limited body type of facial feature options in FreePlay whereas there’s reportedly a body slider on Mobile. The latest game also features a complex aging and a system of interactions with more depth.
How much will The Sims Mobile cost
The Sims Mobile will be free to play. However, the Play Store listing does make clear that there are advertisements and in-game purchases. The information isn’t viewable to those who are in the US and UK yet, although PC Advisor predicts they “could quickly become very expensive.” It advises to spend just a few dollars on The Sims Mobile and not have to deal with the restrictions of in-app purchases. Regardless, it should still be fun to play for those who don’t want to spend their hard-earned cash in-game.
The Sims Mobile soft launch came two years after The Sims 4’s release and over five years after The Sims Freeplay’s. The new game requires Android 4.0 or higher to run.